Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Negativity or reality?

So, I've been on this news positivity kick.

I hear from tons of people who think the news has more negative things to say than positive. And I want to change that.

I'm a bit conflicted, though. I know it is the media's job to be the watchdog and tell the truth, but how many times do we search for the good? I know we're in horrible economic times but how often do we see stories of hope?

I have seen the stories so I know they are there.

Still, is it the media's job to inspire hope or just to tell it like it is? It might help to know if watching the news ever leads to depression.

Anyway, in times like these should we have more stories like this?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/18/economy.college.students/index.html

3 comments:

  1. As journalists, I would say it is our role to tell it how it is. And for some people, there is hope, so hopeful stories and good news do have a place in today's journalism. The news judgement kick that I've been on lately (and for about two years in all reality) relates to event coverage. I strongly believe that something can be news just because it happened. There does not need to be conflict, or two opposing sides, or mention of an "issue" in every story. Changing this would allow space for more positive stories to make it into today's news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. learning, speech making, walking on clouds ... Time for you to Do the Journalism you want to see done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a balance of both types of news is the best mix for everyone involved. As reporters, we have the glamorous job of having to tell it like it is, and usually, bad news becomes the stories we must tell. However, I agree completely with how nice it would be to see more stories of hope make the news. I think that sometimes the things people do out of the goodness of their hearts is just as newsworthy as a bad economy update. If you want to see more newsworthy positive outlook stories, then I say go out there and find them!

    ReplyDelete