Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Going back to grammar school

Using the verbs on today's homework (rush, drive, settle, lose, complete, reduce, fund, dream and restructure), and changing them into verbals, I will describe my painful experience so far with relearning grammar my senior year of college. Making life hard for myself is what I do.


Excitement about learning how to edit, caused me to rush to class the first day. (infinitive)

Driven by pure, palpable passion I listened attentively as we learned literary terms and parts of speech. (participle)

Settling too soon in comfort, my confusion over where to place a comma, foreshadowed a change. (gerund)

My sanity has taken a turn for the worst: I am losing my mind with all of these confusing grammar rules! (participle)

And after the first eight and a half minute quiz, my life was thrown into complete turmoil. (participle)

I realize, that to reduce grammar stress I may have to read more books and do more grammar exercises. (infinitive)

I wonder if funding students' homework assignments might motivate them more. (gerund)

Surely, dreaming of a little grammar incentive is not a crime. (gerund)

If one were to restructure grammar to make it easier, that might help too. (infinitive)


So, does everyone agree I used the verbals right? Can you spot more verbals? I can! I think grammar school is working ... I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Because you asked, I'll respond that we could discuss 3, 4 and 5.

    ReplyDelete