Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Third ... or fourth or fifth "like's" (not) the charm

So, like, I was sitting in my Leisure and Consumer Culture class the other day when the flashback hit.

There was a kid trying to explain his point of view to the teacher about something or other. The reason I don't remember his point is because the "like" he used every other time he spoke, overshadowed his comments. "Well, it's like, because of, like ..." I mean, he must've said it, like, 10 times in 30 seconds.

And I couldn't blame the kid because I know I do the same thing. When I don't know what to say or I'm really fired up, I often insert a "like" here or there ... OK everywhere. I don't know why many of us use this subordinating conjunction as a predicate adjective (I think) but, like, we do.

And it's funny, because I never thought I would get in trouble for it. Two semesters ago, in Professor Leon Dash's Reporting II class, I was singled out for my loose use of the word. He told me that if I ever wanted to portray myself as a qualified candidate for a job, I must talk more professionally. He probably said something about my mom not approving, and something like even when I talk to my friends I must make an effort to talk better ... but whatever.

Oh, and of course, guess what happened? About 10 months later (last week), I was talking to a close friend of mine. Again, I can't remember what I was trying to say, but I know I was really trying hard to say something. Of course, he so poignantly points out my flawed speech pattern and laughs. Disgraceful. I just can't leave "like" alone.

Why is it, though, that when we write we do not use (or, abuse) "like" in the same neurotic fashion as when we speak? Perhaps we know to be more professional when we write. Perhaps we feel less on-the-spot and so we don't lose consciousness as easily when we write. Still, we make a lot of other grammatical mistakes in our writing too.

I think we should learn how to be more conscious when we do both. And this class thrusts grammar to the forefront of my consciousness. (Did you like that active verb?) You know, before I took this class I never used to feel a sense of gratification for consciously strengthening my verbs. I never used to mosey from class daydreaming about grammar. But, it's possible that striving to think gramatically better and speak gramatically better, might just help us become better writers.

I think we also just need to relax. It's just, like, when we have something to say, we should just, like, say it without getting all, like, flustered and stuff.
___
Check out this article on the consequences of damaging filler words and how to overcome them. I think I have a problem.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Damaging-Verbal-Filler-Words-Repairing-Your-Speech&id=1759558

Oh, and this video might help too, although I was a little offended. http://www.ehow.com/video_4403285_conversational-speeches-filler-words.html

No comments:

Post a Comment