Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Early morning editing proves perilous!

It was after four in the morning on Tuesday. I had just finished a paper due at nine. I printed my paper. Hungry for sleep, I attempted to slip out of the computer lab. Wait. One of my residents jokingly asks me to edit his Wikipedia article he has to write for a business class. How long is it, I say, just knowing it’s going to be five pages too long and I won’t feel obligated to stay. Oh, about 200 to 500 words. Ugh, fine. I’ll edit it.

I have to say, editing at four in the morning, half asleep, was pretty cool. I actually went line by line. I corrected punctuation (capitalization) and grammar (tense). I suggested clarification and alternate words to use. I also dug deep down into that brain reservoir and pulled out some parallelism for him. And I even explained why I would change certain things, like a good editor should! It was us against the world, the “reporter” and me, informing society about a marine park in Kenya and using good grammar to do it!

I have to admit though, I didn’t check much for accuracy. I was a little too tired for that. Oh well, we all know we shouldn’t trust Wikipedia articles much anyway!

P.S. Don't stay up editing past four in the morning unless you want to walk into your nine 'o clock class an hour late thinking you're on time. Yeah, class would be dismissed 10 minutes after I sat down and I had not clue until I sat down.

Conclusion 1:
I can neither hear alarms nor judge time accurately if I am working on four hours of sleep. (Well, it was really five hours now wasn't it?)

Conclusion 2:
Editing has officially proven perilous to my academic health! How ironic.

1 comment:

  1. i read this for the headline. I was afraid you might have broken something.

    ReplyDelete