Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shortchanged speech

I have a real problem when it comes to shortening things. When I was a reporter at the Daily Illini my stories would always go over the space allowed, and I could always make a case for it. When it comes to the text of a story or essay, even after revising and cutting unneeded words my papers still reach maximum word capacity. I just have so much to say I guess!

But, class this past week has taught me that sometimes shortening things: photo lead-ins, headlines, can actually strengthen your writing. And revising can do a world of good! (Thanks Professor Follis for allowing us to revise our research papers!)

Then I had a seemingly opposite experience with writing a speech. I auditioned to give the speech for our EXTREMELY SOON graduation a couple weeks ago. (I can't wait, by the way.) Even though I was unprepared and the speech was four pages too long, I did pretty well. People laughed and I got my cohesive message across.

Then there were call backs. Monday I gave a drastically shortened and changed-up version, thinking it would be better. Perhaps there was too much thinking involved, because long story short, I won't be giving the convocation speech.

I was quite disappointed knowing I have the ability to give a speech well. Of course my ever-thinking brain tries to figure out why I "failed." Did I edit it too much? Was I just not in character? Should I have made more eye contact?

The only thing I can take away is there is not always a right or wrong. And what applies to written words may not apply to those spoken. Really, I just don't think I was as into my speech the second time around.

Perhaps the problem was not in the cutting but in changing the message a bit. Perhaps I should've been more confident in my initial work.

Either way, I tried! Effective communication is a learning process and if I learn how to trust myself, it can only get better from here!

1 comment:

  1. Go you for auditioning! You're brave for speaking in front of a critiquing panel. I'm sure you did wonderful.

    I too, have the same problem. I'm wordy in everything that I write. This editing class is helping, but I still need to slim it down. I think I learned to write an abundance of words when I needed to make those word count requirements.

    ReplyDelete